Fanuc Corporation and Rockwell Automation Inc are strenghtening their collaboration to globally provide customers a more seamless and integrated manufacturing solution. The two companies have expanded their initial collaboration, started four years ago, with further integration of robotics, Robomachine and enterprise software products. The effort will have its initial impact on applications in the automotive industry, where customers can “experience benefits of a preferred integration plug-and-play automation and information solution”.
“Fanuc had already been offering flexible open interfaces to complementary automation systems globally. However, Fanuc and Rockwell Automation together agree that our globally shared customer base wants a completely integrated automation solution. So, I am proud to announce this advanced global collaboration with Rockwell Automation that allows us to offer a preferred integration solution to our customers around the world,” says Dr Eng Yoshiharu Inaba, president and CEO of Fanuc Corporation.
Rockwell Automation chairman and CEO Keith D Nosbusch adds: “The global collaboration between Rockwell Automation and Fanuc is a direct response to our customers’ needs for more effective integration across manufacturing disciplines. Integrating Fanuc CNC, robot and Robomachine portfolios with our integrated control and information solutions will result in better manufacturing agility, to help customers achieve a secure connected enterprise.”
The two demonstrated their collaboration at the recent IMTS show held in Chicago at the beginning of September. Demonstrations included:
– A fully integrated automotive machining cell – showcasing Fanuc Robodrills, powered by Fanuc CNCs and integrated with a Rockwell Automation Logix PAC, demonstrating automotive machining with a Fanuc robot loading/unloading Fanuc Robodrills.
– An ability to use a Rockwell Automation HMI to operate a Fanuc robot – allowing attendees to use a Rockwell Automation industrial computer that supports Fanuc 4D graphics to operate a Fanuc robot in an interactive kiosk.
– A fenceless robot cell in action – demonstrating a fenceless Fanuc robot system using Rockwell Automation safety sensors.
– Live access to machining data from multiple sources, using traditional HMI and commercial mobile devices – Rockwell Automation Logix PAC and FactoryTalk View and VantagePoint software gathering machining data from Fanuc CNCs in four different locations: a remote fabrication factory at Fanuc in Japan; the automotive cell in the Fanuc IMTS Booth; a 5-axis demo of two machines in the Fanuc IMTS Booth; and the Rockwell Automation automotive powertrain demo in the Rockwell Automation IMTS Booth.
– Component assembly demo – the Rockwell Automation iTRAK Intelligent Track System integrated with a Fanuc robot showcasing independent control of multiple pallets for component assembly in the Rockwell Automation IMTS Booth.